Tales of Woe

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tales of Woe
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:30:06 EDT
I saw in yesterdays digest two tales of woe concerning foreign objects
rattling around in the top end or blocking the intake. Yikes! This has always
been a phobia of mine, and I avoid installing anything in the intake tract
that could rattle loose and fall in, unless it is peened, super Locktite-ed,
wired, or otherwise secured. The one object, as described, seems to have been
too large to have passed a fully open intake valve first going in, and then
going out again, but then things are happening in there at high speed. It
could have held the intake valve open, which would have caused damage. Of
course if the head of the valve then snapped off and dropped in.....It also
sounds like sabotage, which is scary.
I like the stock air filters on my 69 B. They were designed for maximum
airflow and perform better than any flat pancake filter. Plus they are more
difficult to remove and reinstall, which might deter any but the most vicious
and dedicated vandal (unless they are another MG freak...)
Cheers, Andy Blackley