Re: torque settings with a crowsfoot

To: proudfa@navcanada.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: torque settings with a crowsfoot
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 00:32:52 EDT
Andy,
Nice thought but it won't work.
When you tighten a bolt or nut it requires a certain force to turn it.  When
you stop turning it and then go to start turning it again you have to
overcome the friction of the bolt at rest.  It takes more force to start a
bolt turning than it does to keep it turning.  Recall Mr. Newton "an object
in motion wants to stay in motion, and object at rest wants to stay at rest"
When I teach a rear axle class, I give the students a demonstration of this.
The pinion nut on the axles we are working on has a torque of 180-200 Nm.  I
have a student tighten the pinion to 160 Nm.  Then stop and go to retighten
to 200Mn.  The wrench will click off without moving at all.
Also before anyone asks, no you can't tighten with one torque wrench and
loosen with another to check the accuracy of the wrench in question.  The
force require to loosen a bolt and tighten are different.
This is probably why torque testers cost serious big bucks.
You can calculate the difference in torque via math (covered in other posts
on this subject) and think of it this way a 15 to 1 ratio is a 6.67%
difference.  This is probably more accurate that your torque wrench.  (I'm
guessing that your torque wrench is plus or minus 10%)
The question was asked what about if the crowfoot is not straight out from
the end of the wrench.  Well, if the crowfoot was straight out off the end of
the wrench the correction factor applies (+).  Because the wrench is longer.
If the crowfoot is under the wrench and inline with the axis of the wrench
the correction factor applies (-).  The wrench is now shorter (why anyone
would do this is beyond me)  If the open end of the crowfoot is 90 degrees to
the axis of the wrench there would be no correction as the wrench is the same
length.
i hope this helps
Rick Ewald