Valve Adjustment 2

To: "'Spitfires'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Valve Adjustment 2
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:21:19 -0400
Oh yeah.  At idle, (1k rpm) the engine is stumbling a little.  Not stalling,
just running a little rough.  And when you goose it quick,  there's a slight
hesitation and a cough (though the carb, that's when I scared myself).  The
plugs are clean (no oil, and no black sooty stuff, in fact, they were a
little white the last few times I pulled them).  ANd my compression is OK.
All within 5 except one within 10 psi (approx. 125 to 135).

Could a valve be burnt?  And maybe I'm still testing for intake manifold
leaks incorrectly.  What is a tried and true procedure that some of you
folks have tried?

Michael

<mgrazian wrote>

Hey folks.

I checked and readjusted the valves this weekend.  A few questions arose.  I
think the valve gaps were in OK shape.  They were supposed to be set at
0.010 inches.  I found some that were as far open as 0.013.  Does that make
a significant difference?  Is it OK to reuse the gasket as it was in good
shape,  and I used some permatex black gasket glue to help with the seal.  I
have a new one that I bought for the job, but misplaced it.

Also,  the intake was still backfiring.  I rechecked for leaks on the intake
manifold.  Nothing found (doesn't mean nothing there).  I enrichened the
mixture a little.  Now the exhaust smells a little like gas, and it still
backfires throught the carb.  Nearly scared the S#$% out of me when I had my
hand outside the carb barrel and it backfired.

I've got the timing at 10BTDC, from Bentley's and Haynes.  Should I advance
it more or less as the next test (or should I test something else first).
And if I advance it,  is that more towards 12BTDC or 8BTDC.

I'm determined to solve this damm thing.  Even if I have to take a shotgun
to the engine. At least it won't backfire anymore.  ;-)

Mike

BTW:  I changed the accelerator cable with one from a bicycle brake.  I
can't believe what a difference it makes.  ANd for only $3.