RE: FW: Tire suggestions

To: "Jurgen Hartwig" <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: RE: FW: Tire suggestions
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:42:31 -0400

> I agree that going overboard is unnecessary, but given the
> sizes of the tires typically found on MGs, you simply won't be able to
> find the high performance tires, anyway.

This is a good point!  However, I have seen some available through mail
order that would seem a bit excessive for most applications.  Mostly I was
referring to the size of the sidewalls being too low profile.

> "Push in corners?"  Are you referring to understeer?  If so, a ride in
> most of today's car will yield understeer much worse than the MGB,
> simply because they are front drive.

I had forgotten my proper terminology for a moment.  Actually, I was
referring to oversteer.  You're right about understeer on FWD cars...it's a
nightmare.  I'd much rather be able to compensate a bit with countersteering
that not be able to turn at all.  What I was trying to say was that some
cars give little warning before totally breaking loose in the rear.  There
are suspension issues that affect this, of course, but on B's my experience
is tires make a huge difference in how the car handles in this respect.

Regards,

=J=