80 MGB LE - Tonneau Cover hardware

To: members@batans.ns.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 80 MGB LE - Tonneau Cover hardware
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:41:25 -0300
G'day All!!

I am in the process of reassembling my MGB after having painted it.

I have found o-rings that will replace the fibre washers that originally
were placed between the stud and the painted surface.  But for the life of
me, I can not determine what goes between the painted surface and the
device that holds the flat retaining bar in the rear of the tonneau and
the top.  All four of my cars have nothing between the retainer and the
body. Won't the lack of a gasket of some sort allow the retainer to mar
the paint and permit water seepage?  Or am I just being paranoid?

Does anyone have any ideas what should be there, if anything?

Preston

PS.  By the way, I found out the hard way that when installing bits and
pieces with pop rivets, pull the nose of the rivet gun away from the body
just before the stem snaps.  If you don't, you will scratch the paint.  (I
got three scratches before I perfected my technique) --
Our 62 MGA 1600 MK II and 80 MGB LE are waiting for warm weather
Betti Ann and Preston Smith in the Head of St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia,
Canada.
email: prsmith@navnet.net