flanges are different???

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: flanges are different???
From: wizardz@maxinter.net
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:31:44 -0400
Hi all....
Hey Lawrie... I pose this question to you more than the rest of the list since
I assuming you have ... at least...  seen a greater variety of exhaust
manifolds for
different vehicles.

I just this morning noticed a variance in the two exhaust manifolds I have
sitting about. Specifically I've noticed a difference in the thickness of
the mount flanges.  Both are the stock type 3-to-2 cast iron.

One unit says 'MOWOG' on the rear down tube with '12H709' on the front tube
this unit has a flange thickness of roughly 0.56"

The other unit says 'AGA E1' (where the other said MOWOG) and it's forward tube
says '12H 3911' This one's flange is only 0.43" thick

I've not had a chance to measure the thickness of the intake manifold for the
SU's

Since neither is on a car I'm not sure which of my two GT's either came off of.
I'm assuming the true MOWOG unit cam off of YB (my primorse GT) since it had
a Weber downdraft andstock exhaust on it as purchased and the 'PIERCE' manifold
for the Weber has a flange thickness of roughly 0.57"

Other than the flanges...they are almost indistinguishable from one another.
why do I wonder about this?

I guess in properly mounting them.. or if one were to end up with one of these
it would make getting a good gasket seal rough.... as the thickness difference
as compared to an intake manifold would not allow the stubs to hold both
tight to the head if the thicknesses were this much different.

I guess I'm asking if you have ever run into something like this.

Paul Tegler
Twin 73' MGB GTs YB and OB
YB born 8/72 (Primrose Yellow) Yellow BGT
OB born 1/73 (Blaze Red) Orange BGT
North of Annapolis, South of Baltimore
email: wizardz@maxinter.net
http://www.amdyne.net/~ptegler/mgmain.htm