Re: Screw Extractor

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@kih.net>
Subject: Re: Screw Extractor
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Mike,

Whoo Hoooo, screw extractors! Boy, I've broken off my share of those
things! First thing I'd try is getting a reverse thread drill bit small
enough to avoid damaging the threads of the calipers and the right size
for the screw extractor you use. There should be a chart telling you what
size screw extractor and drill bit you should use. If you can magnetize
the reverse thread drill before you start drilling, so much the better so
that you can catch any chips before they fall into the caliper! If you are
lucky, then you'll spin the broken bleeder valve out when you reverse
drill the thing out. If not, then you stick the proper size extractor in
the hole you've drilled and screw it out by turning in the opposite
direction you would normally turn to put a screw in- counter clockwise,
that is!

Good luck. I've broken my share of small extractors and they are made of
REALLY hard steel!

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521