Re: MGB Jack Points

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Jack Points
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:51:15 EDT
Bob Donahue wrote:

<<<<
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jack Points 75 MGB

I wouldn't trust the jack points on a brand new B! I had the jack point tube
tear off on a B that wasn't rusty. I carry a scissor jack in the trunk and I
use a trolley jack in the garage. Did Lucas design that jack?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)

I still remember the incredulous look I got from Jake Snyder over this very
subject one day while we were replacing the left sill on my MGB GT. I was
cursing myself because I had forgotten to place the reinforcing brace inside
the sill that goes over the jackpoint and had already welded up the sill.
Jake just gave me a look of wonder and said "It doesn't matter, - surely you
don't intend to use the jack tubes to lift the car. They're just there for
decoration."

Thus was I introduced to the difference in MGB jack points and the more
usable ones in my Midget that I had been using for years. Also explained why
the car came with a scissors jack. The PO wasn't totally to be dreaded.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA