Re: Car Pricing Guide - longish

To: "Eric Erickson" <eric@erickson.on.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Pricing Guide - longish
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:24:15 +1000
Eric,

> $10,000 - $12,999 probably good daily driver (no show pony) w/maint
> $13,000 - $16,999 higher end will have good mech. AND nice paint

I totally agree with you Eric. In the Daily Driver to Higher end bracket
(IMHO) take at least $3000 off for an equivalent GT. GT's are much rarer in
Australia but hardly anyone wants one. It's the old 'MGs are convertibles'
theme.

> otherwise you will end up paying $3,000 more (as an earlier post from Oz
> ... was it you Neil???  showed with $20,000+ prices).

Yeah me, and it was a lot more that $3000 on top Eric, some of the prices of
the cars I looked at were almost unbelievable.. I guess our American friends
are reading in disbelief at the prices anyway.. Well I bought my '70 GT in
1986 with 27 thousand miles on the clock for $3000 USD. We were living in CA
at the time. That price was quite expensive I guess, but the car had no
damage, no rust, totally original one owner etc. I still see prices like
that quoted in the US for GT's but I don't know if the value for money is
the same, I presume prices have risen to some extent. As for the US, there
is such a supply of cars (B's) over there (compared to here) that people can
contemplate doing things like putting 2.8L V6 engines in them etc. <G>
(flame suit on) <VBG> :) I also think, what with us having closer ties to
Mother England we're subjected to more of the 'you're gonna do WHAT with it?
Put a WHAT in it??' guilt trip stuff. <G>

In Australia we have a lot of MG's but they are still significantly rare
that some parts are in short supply. Engine parts especially it seems. So we
have to make do with what we have to a larger degree, there's less of the
throw it away stick in a better one mentality. I mean it's difficult to find
some items like Cranks, Blocks, Heads, Gearboxes etc and if you do they're
usually attached to a car!! :)

BUT I have to relate my bargain for the night and somewhat contradict
yself  - I got two Cylinder heads from a real nice guy in the MGCC. 1 MGA, 1
Early MGB (65) - the MGA one complete with rocker assembly, valves etc. The
MGB one rebuilt with valves,springs etc. 1 MGA 1500/1600 Grille, 1 New MGA
Wire Wheel - total $325.00. About $210 USD. Bargain eh? When I'm bored I'll
fit the Early B head to the A as it's got new seats, valves etc. If you try
and buy a head from a parts place you'll be paying at LEAST $250 for one,
but more like $500 as I was quoted all over the place. A block goes for
about $500 as I've been finding. Another good reason to be in an MG Car Club
eh? :)

> these and would not (because of the additional work involved) buy one
> for less than about $22,000 unless I was looking for a project for my

Can you explain more work involved? The only bad thing about working on an A
IMO is ACCESS. ie It's much harder to get at the Engine and it's
ancilliaries. Are you talking about body rest. Eric? Someone on the list
thats restored both B's and A's should <INSERT COMMENT HERE> :)

I bought my MGA in 1989 for $15,000. It's never been restored just kept
running, there is surface rust and bubbling paint in the engine bay, it's
pretty dirty in there. The paintwork is original (yeah another 1 owner car),
it's got dings in the doors, paint is flaking etc and the wiring is pretty
shonky. Apart from that she runs very nicely and I'd never swap her for a B
(BUT if you have a Swept Wing PB or a TwinCam you're bored with EMAIL ME!!).
If I was selling her I'd want $20,000 nowadays. You'd spend at least that
restoring it if you took it to a shop - most likely $30,000. Nope, I think
I'll keep her as a driver, in orig condition with all battle scars! Funnily
enough I like her that way - character! :) I had great fun tonight driving
home in the freezing cold, everyone thinking I was nuts, yobbo's yelling at
me real original stuff like 'ARE YA COLD MATEY?'... Heck I even dragged off
a dweeb in a Gemini.. Ah the glory of it all. ;))

Cheers,
Neil.