Hardtops

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtops
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:01:30 -0400
My #.02:

I use my B year-round here in CT.  I did one winter without a HT - no
thanks, not again.

I found a factory HT in decent condition, but missing a side window & frame.
After much scouring of wrecking yards all over the US, I gave up and was
about to get a frame made by a machine shop (read expensive).  A friend
suggested I contact Bromesgrove in the UK & bingo! - the complete window &
frame were in stock.  I don't remember the exact price (5 yrs. ago) but the
window & frame and a new Coventry soft-top with shipping & duty cost $300
usd.

I'm 5'8", 160" and older than most on this list. And, I'm desk-bound on
weekdays, and don't work out regularly.  I install & remove the top myself.
I use a number of turkish towels spread around the area at the rear of the
top.  As soon as it is loose, the towels get shoved between the body & the
top.  It's relatively easy to twist, lift & carry.

As for seals, I've posted this to the list before, but it bears repeating:
use the front seal at the back as well.  At least until someone comes up
with a more exact replacement.

As for any remaining leaks - foam rubber weatherstripping at the hardware
store will suffice.

Norm Sippel
'66 B daily driver & vintage racer (soon)