semi-new Beetles

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: semi-new Beetles
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:19:30 -0500
> No need to resurrect the beetle, they are still available new
> in Mexico
> and are being imported into the Us.
> ...Art

        Yeah, but the people that are bringing them in are doing so in a
manner that I expect will be closed down at some point.
        As I last understood it, these "new" beetles are actually a new
body, interior, and drivetrain bolted onto a '73 - '79 floorpan. This allows
them to be titled as the model year for the floorpan used. The '73 and '74
floorpans are preferred, since they fall outside the 25 year rule for
emissions testing in most states.

Dan Pockrus
'74B in faded Citron