Engine Lineage (Was Maita & MG Stuff

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Lineage (Was Maita & MG Stuff
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:44:08 EDT
Paul Hammarstedt wrote:

<<<I'm laughing pretty hard that I feared that this thread would end up in
Miata
bashing.  Instead interesting history and fire truck pump motors have bubbled
up.

I didn't mean the "tractor engine" comment to be literal.  It just seems like
british cars are the product of a rather agrarian (sp?) techonlogical
culture.
The comment probably deserves quibbling and no offense is intended or
taken.>>>

This all makes me want to look up the quote I think was about the MGC engine
that said (and I am paraphrasing) -
"The engine seemed to be the work of a marine engine designer who was
transferred to the agricultural engine department against his will"

I don't remember who said it.

Several Chicagoland MG Club members who were there have told of the extensive
marketing research done at the MGB Convention in Santa Barbara, California in
the latter 80's on behalf of the California design firm that was involved in
the development of the Miata. They polled those assembled on the attractions
of MGs but somehow missed the fact that oil leaks on the driveway are a badge
of honor.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA