Automotive Literature

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Automotive Literature
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:00:28 EDT
Burt Levy unveiled the sequel to "The Last Open Road" last weekend at the
Brian Redman Challenge (formerly Chicago Historics) race weekend at Elkhart
Lake, Wisconsin. The "preview edition" of "Montezuma's Ferrari" was available
directly from Burt complete with autograph and "Debut Weekend, Elkhart Lake,
WI, July 23-25, 1999" stamp. Buddy, Julie, Old Man Finzio, Cal, Big Ed,
Carson, Tommy, Charlie, Creighton, Skippy and the whole gang return with a
supporting cast of British, Italian and German sports cars and pick up where
TLOR left off. I've already read 2/3rds and it maintains the immense gearhead
appeal of TLOR. Also found out that Burt has resumed publishing the original
version of The Last Open Road. Much better than the stripped down St.
Martin's Press version that was editted down in an attempt to broaden its
appeal.

The only factual error I found is in the "sponsor" section of the book where
there are photos of many of the car types mentioned in the book. A photo of a
pre-war Midget is identified as a TC. I am trying to backtrack and recheck
exactly what model the car is - I met the owner at Twist's in 1994 when the
MMM cars were featured. I think it's a J2 that saw police use in the 30's
with the Lancashire Constablary. Doesn't detract from the literary effort
though.

I give it four Octagons

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA