Re: rear suspension geometry

To: "teds" <teds@accessone.com>, "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>,
Subject: Re: rear suspension geometry
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:59:04 -0400
Ted,

I'm pretty sure the Munroe shock conversion is nearly indentical to the SPAX
in it's installation.  If so, it is entirely reversible.  If this is a daily
driver and you're not too concerned about performance flexibility, the
original shocks are fine.  Just be sure to get a good rebuilt pair, or
you'll just end up having to replace them again in the near future.

On tube shocks:  I have SPAX on all four corners, and I love them.  For
daily driving, the lowest setting is a perfect blend of performance and
comfort.  When I'm racing, or feeling "sporting", I turn them up two or
three notches...no more than 6.  They go to something like 14...any more
than 6 and the stiffness starts causing the car to skip all over the road.

On geometries:  This is an interesting subject.  I've seen numerous
applications of tube shocks mounted at an angle on production cars.  For
example, the current Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada series.  The rear shocks are angle
mounted.  Also, I've seen many pickups with a weird configuration with one
toward the front and one toward the rear of the car at the rear axle.
What's up with that?  Does it just provide better front to back
stabilization for the axle on bigger trucks?

=J=