RE: Missing another part, how bad do I need it?

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Missing another part, how bad do I need it?
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:37:34 -0600
Andrew, I think you're right.  The last time I checked the stay rod is NLA,
as well as the bracket that fastens to the engine.  The best source for this
in Denver is Paul Dierschow, or perhaps Blakes.  But even they may not have
it.  Generally DPOs feel it is an unnecessary item.  It's not.  It is
intended to keep the fan blade from drilling through your radiator.  It
seems that MG noticed that as the rubber engine mounts aged they became more
flexible.  It is possible under heavy braking for the engine to move far
enough forward to allow the fan to touch the radiator.

If you are lucky enough to find used pieces I would still suggest you buy a
*new* rubber buffer.

You might want to check the large rear rubber engine mounts (trans mounts)
too.  They seem to almost "melt" with age.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
1970 MGB Daily Driver ~ 1967 MGB Vintage Racer ~ 1969 MGB Undergoing V8
conversion
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/