Stubborn kingpins

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stubborn kingpins
From: abadeker@tribune.com
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:39:19 -0500
          Hail, the all-powerful list:

          In my long and lingering front-end rebuild of a 1600 A, I planned
          swap the superior kingpins in a set of 1500 knuckles for the
     somewhat
          chewed-up originals in my 1600 knuckles.

          Lo, my local brake and clutch man was unable to extract the pins,
          giving up at 25 tons of pressure. Yes, he had removed the keyed
          steering arm from the knuckle, and yes, he assured me he was
     pushing
          from the right end.

          He was reluctant to try heat, because of losing the temper on the
          parts, yet I'm thinking, heck, I won't need the 1500 knuckles,
     and how
          much could it hurt the kingpin...? I don't know if I can talk him
     into
          trying again, though.

          Both sets had been sandblasted clean; the 1500s were painted by
     some
          rebuilder, but a little paint, and the little internal rusting I
     noticed once the steering arm was pulled, couldn't withstand 25 tons
     of
          pressure...Could it?

          Any suggestions?

          Thanks,