Re: Re-Torquing

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re-Torquing
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:37:43 -0700
Rick,

True, the last one won't be quite as warm as the first one but it'll be a
darn sight closer to its operating temperature - and thus it's needed
operating clearance - than it would if the engine were stone cold.

I agree that the co-efficient of expansion is related to the metallurgy of
the part, not its amount of wear. However, a worn pushrod end, when it
expands with heat, will likely present a different profile to the ball on
the rocker arm than an unworn one. In fact, it presents the surface that is
going to be in use when the engine is running. Therefore, that's the time to
make the adjustments, in my opinion.

I agree with you on one point - this discussion doesn't deserve any more
bandwidth spent on it. You are free to believe whatever you like. I speak
from many years as a practical - and conscientious - mechanic but you are
free to prefer theory to experience if you so desire.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center