Re: Rear transmission seal

To: <rsexson@excite.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear transmission seal
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:32:50 -0700
Assuming the new seal is the one specified for the application by one of the
parts suppliers that knows what they are doing, the fact that it looks
different from the one you took out should not worry you. Many modern seals
have a different construction from the old ones.

The important questions to answer are: are the inside and outside diameters
of the new seal the same as the old one? Is the depth of the new seal such
that, when installed, the seal surface will be in the same place - give or
take a sixteenth of an inch - as the old one? If all answers are yes, it
should work. Remember to put some lube on the seal surface before you put
the flange back in, so you don't burn the rubber when rotation begins!

Lawrie
British Sportscar center