Re: 1980 MGB LE Wiring question

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1980 MGB LE Wiring question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:08:42 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
To: mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: 30 August 1999 20:32
Subject: 1980 MGB LE Wiring question

>  On behalf of a friend and neighbor who is doing a magnificent
>restoration of his car, I'm passing to the list some questions he has
>been unable to answer from the manuals and from looking at another LE.
>His request follows. If you can help, respond to me, I'll print it and
>carry the copy over to him.
>Thanks,
>Bob
>

> Need help in connecting wiring to ballast resistor (two terminals), coil
>and factory-installed Lucas Electronic ignition.
>1. Lucas electronic ignition module
>    1 white wire ?

White is the 12v ignition feed to the electronic ignition and also the
electronic ignition ballast resistor.  Confusingly it looks like it connects
from a white/brown from the No. 2 fuse.  This white/brown may also feed the
coil ballast, or it may also become a white before it reaches the coil
ballast.  The coil ballast is a length of resistance wire contained within
the loom, the electronic ignition ballast is a visible component.

>    1 white/black wire?

White-black is the LT feed from the electronic ignition to the coil -ve and
from there to the tach.

>  The red and blue wire to distributor and ground wire are OK-no problem.
>
>2. Wires in harness to coil and ballast resistor
>  white/light green?  ( 2 wires, 1 terminal?)

White/light-green comes to the coil +ve from the coil ballast and goes on to
the solenoid.  This solenoid terminal supplies a full 12v to the coil during
cranking to boost the spark.

>  white-single wire?

Same as white above, it is the ignition feed to the electronic ignition and
ignition ballast resistor.

>  white/black  (2 wires, 1 terminal?)

Same as above, one comes from the electronic ignition to the coil -ve and
the other goes on to the tach.

>3. Also in harness to coil and ballast resistor are the following wires,
>but I don't belive they are used with electronic ignition:
>  3 wire connector with:
>    1 white wire

As above, it is the 12v ignition feed to the electronic ignition.

>    1 white/blue with terminal on one end

White/blue is the feed from the ignition ballast resistor to the electronic
ignition.

>    1 white/black

Same as above, it is the LT feed from the electronic ignition to the -ve of
the coil (and then onto the tach).

>4. Question--where are the five wires in #1 and 2 connected?  On coil and
>ballast resistor?   Elsewhere?

Where the physical interconnections are I don't know, but basically all
like-coloured wires are connected together.  The only confusing thing is
that at one point the whites connect to a white/brown from the No. 2 fuse,
which comes from the ignition relay.