Re: no power

To: john@rmartin.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no power
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 00:41:44 EDT
In a message dated 9/2/99 1:19:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, john@rmartin.net
writes:

> One problem that I had with my '74 B was that the mechanical advance
weights
>  in the dizzy had frozen to the center shaft so I was getting no mechanical
>  advance
>  and therefore no power.
>  It's worth a check.
>
>  -JW
>

>  At 01:14 PM 9/2/99 -0700, Steve Buche wrote:
>  >Imagine, if you will a 69 MGB, with no power - it starts and runs - and
>  >the following compression readings - (starting from the front of the
>  >engine) 145lbs, 150lbs, 35lbs, 35lbs. Imagine that :-)

OK repeat after me.  An engine needs 1. Fuel, 2. Air, 3. compression, 4.
Spark  all of these are needed at the right place at the right time, in the
right amount. (thanks to Dick O'Kane)
You will notice that cylinders 1 and 2 have normal compression, while 3 and 4
do not.  This leads to one of two conclusions
1. Compression tester died AFTER checking cyl 2 and now only reads 35 PSI :-)
2. There is a compression problem in 3 and 4. Probably a blown head gasket
between 3 and 4.
Yes, stuck advance weights can cause low power, however all mechanical items
need to be checked and verified as correct.  Looking at the dizzy before
fixing the compression problem is like going to the hospital for a heart
attack, and having the doctor give you a band aid for that nasty scratch you
got when you feel over from the heart attack.  Helpful perhaps, but not
exactly going to fix your most serious problem.
Rick Ewald