Re: [mgs] altenators

To: geopro@cyberdrive.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [mgs] altenators
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 14:56:05 EDT
geopro@cyberdrive.net writes:

> Wait a minute, you're saying I disconnect the battery on an
>  alternator equipped car (and that includes virtually ALL new
>  cars) as well as many lbc's and the
>  diode/alternator/radio/computers/cellphone/shaver/etc. are
>  toast?  I know the battery has been disconnected several
>  times on my American van and everything seems fine.
>  Can you clarify?  Inquiring minds and all
>  George Procyshyn

I guess I did not make myself clear here.  I was speaking about pulling off
the cable the battery with the engine RUNNING.  Engine off there is no big
deal as far as the alternator is concerned.  However some Electronic control
units do no go to sleep at the instant of key off, and in those cases it is
necessary to wait until the control unit has gone to sleep prior to
disconnection of the battery.
Sorry for the confusion,
Rick