Re: More oil for breakin

To: Enrique Claure <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More oil for breakin
From: Scott Hower <howersl@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
Enrique,

Several years ago I had the opportunity to ask Don
Garlits (aka "Big Daddy" of Top Fuel drag racing fame)
a few questions.

I asked him his opinion on the MGB; he replied:
"I've owned several of these are wonderful little cars".

I told him I had just finished an engine rebuild and
asked for any initial startup tips.  He told me that
he had several old friends that worked "at the
factory" who swore on overfilling the B by at least a
quart to prevent starvation and speed drainback.
He said they had even gone so far as to fit spacers to
the dipstick tube so a quart over read full.

I was not about to argue with the man, but I have
never heard or read of this sugggestion anywhere else.

YMMV, FWIW, FDIC insured ...

--Scott

--- Enrique Claure <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo> wrote:
> Hi listees, (I feel formal today) I was wondering if
> it would be a good
> idea to put a bit of excess oil into the engine for
> the breakin period. Say
> engine hold 3Liters, put in four. This way you
> should get more oil pressure
> and have more oil to lube the engine? Wadaya say?
> Enrique
>
> SPAN Inc
> (Enrique Claure)
> 8416 NW 66 St