Re: 1975 MGB

To: Jeff Jones <Jeff.Jones@NAU.EDU>
Subject: Re: 1975 MGB
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:26:49 +0100
Hi Jeff,

You can make a clutch alignment tool from a piece of wooden dowel and
insulating tape. Just wrap the tape round at the appropriate points so
that the dowel is a snug fit in the spigot bush and the clutch plate
spline; check the alignment by eye after removing the tool.

Putting the engine back in (presumably with the gearbox still on board)
just needs patience. You align the units so that the engine to box gap
is the same all around before pushing the engine onto the 'box. At this
stage, the 'box will probably neeed turning to align the input shaft, so
put the rear of the car on stands and have a helper turn the propshaft
with the 'box in gear.

Above all, don't force it!!!

Good Luck,

Dave Hill