RE: Something rubbing in the rear.

To: wizardz <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Subject: RE: Something rubbing in the rear.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:32:59 -0700
Paul:

        Incorrectly installed blocks can cause problems, as any modification
from stock.  Installation of a correctly designed lowering block should not
cause any difficulties in most applications.  The one that comes to mind
would be a late B with rear sway bar.  It is possible that mounting lowering
blocks could cause the sway bar, or mounts to hit things.  Also the rear
brake hose would have to be checked to make sure there is no problem.

        Lowering blocks are a normal method for adjusting rear ride height
on race MGBs.  They are used for trimming the ride level, as de-arching
springs is an inexact science.  If the vehicle rear height is too high,
installation of a lowering block will bring the drive shaft angle back into
correct alignment.  Note the deepened tunnel reinforcement at the rear of
the tunnel on the later MGB, required for the raised ride height.

        I did just think of something that could be the answer to the
original question.  I've had rubbing problems when installing new seat
belts.  Too long of a seat belt bolt in the drive shaft tunnel mounting hole
and there will be interference on hard corners.  There will be a witness
mark on the driveshaft, but it is in the area above the rear tunnel
reinforcement.

Kelvin.
                65 MGB race car.  12 years on 1 1/4" spacer blocks.