diesel sports car

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: diesel sports car
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:13:43 -0600
Last year, I went to Canada in a new VW Jetta TDI turbodiesel.  It didn't
clatter, accelerated as well as my '87 Golf (gasoline powered), and only
smoked if you idled around for a few minutes and then mashed the pedal.
The best part is, we averaged 48 miles per gallon.  I seem to remember a
team in Europe that raced a VW diesel.  I know for a fact that diesels sell
much better over there, they don't have the memory of the diesel Chevette
or 350 Olds diesel conversions to contend with.  The biggest difference in
driving a modern diesel compared to a gas engine has to do with engine RPM
and torque.  they certainly don't rev very high, but usually have monster
low end power.  Don't think we'll be seeing a Honda V-Tec diesel anytime
soon.  :-)

Calvin Krug

"Poke me with a fork, I think I'm done"