[mgs] cast iron repairs

To: mgs (list) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [mgs] cast iron repairs
From: walter menge <walter.menge@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 99 00:37:39 Central Daylight Time
Hi.There were several coments about welding cast iron and and all of it was
good. I have welded cast iron and
was sucessful. The coeficent of expansion of cast iron is not the same as the
rod being used. While cooling the
cast iron shrinks from the rod or filler metal. The weld does not crack, it
simply pulls away leaving a crack
besides the weld most of the time. Try welding a head if you want to ruin it.
There are ways of repairing cast
iron besides welding that are much less time consuming with better results.
Should any wish information how I
welded a cast iron 6 cylinder engine contact me --
I would try to get more service out of the cracked exhaust manifold by drilling
a small hole at each end if the
crack. The same with the cracks on the doors. A crack will continue as long as
it has a point to follow. A round
hole has equal stress all around and the crack has no weak point to follow.
With the manifold take some plastic
metal and work it into the crack and holes with some on top for strength. The
door can use a backing plate
welded or rivited inside with body filler on the outside. Any one wishing to
see a head repair job of mine buy
one of my rebuilt exchange heads.
My friends with Opels include the name in the subject line. It helps us that
read several lists and wishes to
respond.
Always glad to receive mail and help others. Walter.Menge@gte.net -- Foreign
Cars and Parts -- 2004
Guillory St. -- Westlake Louisiana 70669 -- The Sportsman's Paradice