Decent Heat

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Decent Heat
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:35:22 PDT
Pre-'75 cars will not come up to temperature in cold weather, whatever the
thermostat -- remember the oil cooler is also providing engine cooling and
some water goes past the thermostat.

I know this because I drove my '74 MGB (US spec) 70 miles during one trip
when the temperature gauge barely moved off the low mark.

SO changing the thermostat won't help. As posted before, you need to either
cover the oil cooler (or fit a thermostat in the oil cooler piping) and
also, perhaps cover part of the radiator.

Later MGBs don't seem to have this problem, but the reverse. BTW, did anyone
else hear Click and Clack recently advise a caller to completely remove the
thermostat from a late MGB that was overheating? Strangely, they did not
advise the caller to fix the broken fan! After this, I wondrer how well the
T-series MG that one of them owns will fare.

Simon