Re: Roller Throwout Bearing

To: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: Roller Throwout Bearing
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:41:57 -0400
Chris,

I quote British Automotive:

    "Before you consider installing aftermarket ball/race type throw out
bearings,
     be sure to read the following information. If you have already installed
this type
     of bearing, it is doomed to failure. Presently there are two styles of
ball/race
     type bearings available:

    1.- A black plastic housing type
    2.- A steel housing type

     Both of these types of bearings suffer from premature "run-dry" conditions
and
     their failure is directly related to being in continual contact with the
clutch cover
     thrust pad. No.1 will self destruct in a very  short time; No.2 will
survive much
     longer and failure will not be as catastrophic."

Why would a sealed, permanently lubricated roller bearing designed for
continuous operation with load applied along the axis of rotation, run dry?
Could it be defective? Or damaged during installation? If so, was it returned
to and examined by the manufacturer? If so, might we see their analysis or
reply? If Doug's right, I've been driving several time bombs for the past 15
years. Maybe Doug will share some of his exhaustive test data and methods with
us.

Before I ask Mr. Moss to fly out to Ohio to help me change all these heavy duty
roller bearings back to the original graphite type, I think I need to see some
proof. Thanks in advance for enlightening us.

Senior Doubting Thomas

AKA Jim
1960 MGA
1974 MGB-GT