Re: Road Kit & Tools

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Road Kit & Tools
From: "Eric Zambori" <eaz@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:17:13 -0400
John Walker wrote:
> I would also be curious to know what actually came WITH a standard MGB
> and which items are actually after market or added by the dealers.
> Specifically
> items such as the jack, knock off hammer, knock off wrench, full tonneau,
> half tonneau
> tonneau bar? Are there any other items which 'should' be included with an
MG?

I am lucky enough to have a full reprint copy of the "Mechanical Service
Parts List" part # AKD3547, issued 1968. On page MR2 the following tools are
specified as being equipped in the MGB:
Bag - tool AHH 6540,
Jack - side lift AHH 6538,
Spanner - wheel nut AHH 6539, or
Spanner - wheel nut AHH9153 Optional extra. Required when Rostyle wheels are
fitted (change pt. GHN4, GHD4-158231)
Lever - hub cap remover 31G 957,
Spanner - box - sparking plug 1B8995,
Tommy bar - box spanner ACA 5216,
Spanner - hub cap AHH 5839 (Germany & Switzerland) (note: this is the
octagon knockoff wrench which was later used for all wire wheel octagon cap
applications. Rich) and finally
Hammer (copper) 88G 829 Wire wheels only.
Sorry I don't have any specs. for cars later than early GHN4 / GHD4 cars
(early 1968.

> >However, it begs the question:  What original tools and equipment came
> >standard with Spridgets?

Again, I have the parts manual for Sprite Mk1 and 2 and Midget Mk 1.
In this book the following tools are listed as coming with the following
applications. Please bear with me, this list is fairly extensive. I'll try
to simplify as much as possible: Sprite Mk1:
Bag - tool
Jack - lifting
Spanner - ratchet - jack
Pump - tyre
Gun - grease
Screwdriver and gauge - ignition
Spanner - tyre valve
Gauge - feeler - tappet and sparking plug
Screwdriver
Brace - wheel (steel wheels with hubcaps only)
Lever - hub cap removal (steel wheels with hubcaps only)
Spanner - box - sparking plug
Tommy-bar - box spanner
Hammer - hub cap (wire wheels only)
Spanner - hub cap (wire wheels only) (again, as above this is the octagon
knockoff spanner for the later octagon cap wheels. Rich )
As one can quickly see, the earlier the car, the more extensive the tools
which came standard with the cars. Breaking the part numbers down for the
many applications is quite extensive, but if someone wants the numbers for a
particular series, I'll try to muddle through it.
Call me an originality nut, but it's kinda neat stuff, eh?
Some folks make this collecting of the tools sort of a side hobby when their
car is done and on the road. Well a fellow needs SOMETHING to do! <g>
As for the tonneau cover, bar, boot cover, etc. for the MGB, the items are
all listed in the book, but do not point out whether they come with the car,
or are simply available options. You should see the colours that were
available on the B though!
Rich Chrysler