Sort of breakdown - update

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Sort of breakdown - update
From: "Martin C. Jones" <M.C.Jones@staffs.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:23:00 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks for all your posts on this.

Sorry, I should've said it's a 1978 model.(I rather dashed
off the email during a quick break at work)

Indications: I had a click then the ignition light dimmed.

Cheers,

Martin

(I'm about to go to the car park to drive home - fingers
and most other appendages crossed)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:46:57 -0000 Paul Hunt
<paul.hunt1@virgin.net> wrote:

> What were the indications that were pointing at the starter motor?  I would
> expect this to be a click from the relay and solenoid as you turn the key to
> start, no cranking, but the ignition warning light dims significantly.  If
> the warning light didn't dim at all (or you didn't get the warning light
> when you turned on the ignition) then you weren't even energising the
> starter - could be ignition switch, relay, solenoid ar any of the
> interconnections depending on how many clicks you heard.
>
> You don't say the year, but generally it is the inertia starters as fitted
> to pre-68 cars that lock with the flywheel and have to be rocked free, I
> have never heard of a pre-engaged starter doing it (which isn't to say etc
> etc).  If the starter was jammed then you should have heard a 'clonk' as it
> freed.
>
> If it's done it once it will almost certainly do it again.  My V8 started
> intermittently chattering the solenoid on cranking a while ago, and very
> intermittently doing nothing at all.  Very difficult to track down as it was
> so infrequent, but eventually it came to stay, which at least allowed me to
> trace and fix it.  At one point I was sure it was the starter itself, but it
> turned out to be a corroded connector on the solenoid.
>
> PaulH.
> http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
> (or if that URL doesn't work try   )
> (http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)