Re: Alt Belt

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alt Belt
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:38:50 -0800
Word on the street is that Mike Lishego said:
> Check to see that your alternator belt isn't too tight.  I had mine
> about as tight as I could get it and it started howling and lighting
> the red idiot lamp over time.  Once I set the belt according to the
> book, the noise and idiot light went away.

Overtightening the belt will destroy the alt/gen bearings in short order,
so while it should be tight it should also have some deflection as per
the manual (haynes, etc).. I think its about 1/2" under "light pressure"

Also don't forget to give the rear bearing some oil once in a while if
you have a generator!

Nice work getting on the cover of the NAMGBR mag, Mike!  Having the
top down in the middle of winter has got to be "MG Magic"

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   http://www.mgb.bc.ca/   (_o____o_)