RE: Jack Stand location?

To: Jon Lind <JLind@ColoradoSkiing.com>
Subject: RE: Jack Stand location?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:19:40 -0800
Jon:

        Vehicle type and year???????

        I'm guessing MGB, from the front crossmember.

        I agree the front crossmember is not the best place to use.  I
normally jack the car up using a large roll around jack under the
crossmember.  There is not enough space to put jackstands and the jack under
it, so I normally would not put stands under it anyway.

        Sometimes I put stands under the lower A arm pivot points.  These
are cast iron, knobbly and very strong.  None of my vehicles have pretty
undersides, so I am not concerned with scratching the paint.

        If I need more height, or clearance for engine/exhaust work then I
put the stands under the frame rails.  This point is the furthest forward
before the rails arch upwards.  Do not use this point if you intend to
remove the rear axle assembly.  The combined weight or engine and front
crossmember is enough to move the balance point close to this position when
the rear axle is removed.

Kelvin.