Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:34:41 EST
Can I toss in my $.02 here?
Lets say you have a car that has 185/75/14 (just to pick a size) if you go to
a 195/65/15 the tyre will have the same diameter.  This is called plus one
(One inch larger rim = shorter sidewall) If you then go to a 205/55/16 again
same diameter.  This is called plus two.  Go up one more size to a 215/45/17
plus three.  Now I haven't been to the tire store today, but I will be
willing to bet that at 215/45/17 is wider, and has a larger contact patch
(square inches) than a 185/75/14, yet they will have the same outer diameter.

This whole discussion reminds me of when I sold tires and a customer would
come in and ask for a 15 inch tire.  What size 15 tire I would ask, and they
would reply it doesn't matter.  So I would roll out a 165/15 VW tire and an
L70/15 tire for a caddie.  The look on their faces was worth it.
Rick
(Who lives in California where we have lots of snow, but we keep it in the
mountains where we can visit it when we want to, we don't live in the stuff)
(gonna be 75 today)