Re: ABS experience (long)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ABS experience (long)
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:46:00 -0500
My limited experience with ABS leads me to believe that its is good in
most but not all situations.  About 5 years ago I was on a business trip
to Rochester and Buffalo.  Left Rochester in a rental GM vehicle
(A-body) with ABS.  The NYS Thruway was closed east of Rochester due to
heavy snow.

The ABS allowed me to brake much more aggressively then I would have
thought possible (I'd apply the brakes until I felt the ABS cycle and
then ease up slightly).

Once in Buffalo with snow still falling I drove around the city
completing my work.  At one intersection (which I was approaching at ~10
mph) I braked normally to stop for a stationary snowplow.  Applying the
brakes did not slow the vehicle at all.  I kept pressing the brakes
harder and harder while rolling toward the plow.  I was about to through
the transmission into park when the pedal suddenly sunk and inch or so
all four wheels locked up and I slid to a halt inches from the plow.

Further experimenting showed that in very low friction driving (at low
speeds) I could get the ABS to malfunction in one of ten stops.

So while I liked it in most situations I would rather have a switch to
disable it (or be convinced that the software has improved since the
early 90's) before I'll purchase a vehicle with it.