Re: 18G -vs- 18V, differences?

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: 18G -vs- 18V, differences?
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:15:39 -0600
At 8:50 PM -0600 2/20/00, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>   Re: the difference in the connecting rod weights between the GV & GH
>engines: how does this equate to connecting rod longevity?
>
>   CR

There are two theories on this: 1, Less rotating mass = less wear on
crank, wrist pin piston bores and bearings hence longer life; 2. Less
weight =less strength hence shorter life.  I have never had a rod
failure with the 18V rods, and have had a rod bend slightly with a GF
rod, with the result of a wrist pin circlip coming out and a wrist
pin grooving a cylinder wall. But that may have been one or those
unusual events that happen.  Under normal use I would guess that
either should work well under normall use.
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/
My British Car is NOT leaky - it's merely marking its territory.