Re: Alternator?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator?
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:38:14 -0800 (PST)
> Standard Time,
> mts3@ra.msstate.edu writes:
>
> << Car dies if I unplug the negative battery cable
> while it's
>  running. >>

I thought somebody else would pipe up, but I haven't
seen anything on this yet so I'll impart my limited
knowledge.

I had a similar problem where I let the battery die
and after jumping the car, it would run, but not very
well and the batter wouldn't charge.  It was explained
to me that the alternator requires 12v to properly
charge your battery.  Meaning, if the battery is dead,
jumping will start your car, but the alternator will
not charge the battery.  I then charged the battery
with with a charger, started and all is well.

As I understand it, the alternator winding that
provides the magnetic field used to induces the AC is
not a static magnet, but a coil which needs 12v to
produce the magnetic field.

Not sure if this is it, but from that point, if my
battery every dies, I charge it, not jump it.

I'm sure someone will tell me if this is hogwash, but
it made sense to me.

Tom
77B

Do You Yahoo!?