Re: Brake adjuster

Subject: Re: Brake adjuster
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:08:37 -0000
Hi, Herb.

I just bought a 1980 MGB and when I tried to adjust the brakes the adjuster
> was frozen. Any suggestions as to how to break ir loose?

I'm not sure if the '80 is the same as the earlier cars but if it is (most
probable), the adjuster is a separate casting held with two 1/4" AF nuts.

If a liquid freeing agent doens't work, strip out the adjuster and boil it
in a pan of water with washing powder. Take it out (still hot) and with the
unit in a vice, work the centre spindle back and forth and it should
gradually move more and more-add oil as needed.

What I usually do is take the spindle right out and re-tap the hole. This is
UNF but I don't have the size to hand; I think it's 7/16" or 1/2" UNF.

Incidentally, if you use flame heat, there's a good chance of melting the
alloy, hence the boiling water approach.

Good Luck

Dave Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html