Re: MG is reborn?

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG is reborn?
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:25:39 -0500
Watching the news tonight, I couldn't help but be elated.  Heck, we
still have our cars, right?  And BMW wasn't making any strides
towards bringing the MG name back to the states, so why not let
someone else take a whack at it?

I had seen this on CNN, and I thought I heard them say "MG Car
Company," but I couldn't believe my ears, so I watched for a while
longer to see it again!  Fabulous!  CNN also hinted that Alchemy was
interested in turning the company into a mid-level car, and BMW
wasn't suited for this (as they were only high-end.)  The announcer
went on to speculate that MG Car Co. would probably be sold to Ford,
Daimler-Chrysler, or Chevy as a new line of cars.  They didn't say
whether that would be in the US or elsewhere...But didn't one of
those "big three" just create a product line opening recently by
axing...Plymouth?

I can't help but be happy.  For everyone who is looking at this
pessimistically, shame on you for three weeks.  BMW was sitting on
the MG name.  At least *someone* is doing something with it
now...And look at all the press it's got!  When was the last time
you heard "MG Car Company" mentioned on world-wide news?

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1
1986 Chrysler LeBaron GTS
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1974 MGB

> Everyone,
>
> Thats not how I read it. It seems they will continue to make
Rovers as
> Rovers but concentrate on rebuilding MG as MG.
> -----------------------
> ALCHEMY TO LAUNCH THE MG CAR COMPANY
>

> Alchemy Partners is pleased to announce the impending launch of
the MG Car
> Company following today's outline agreement with BMW to acquire
Rover Group.

> The new company will continue with Rover's current model range of
the 25,
> 45, 75 and "Old Mini" and will provide ongoing service to Rover's
customers.

> The new company will focus on developing a state of the art
British built