Dynamo / Generator Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dynamo / Generator Question
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:35:28 -0700
My 67 (actually mid-66) MGB roadster has the stock positive ground / dynamo set
up.

Is it normal that at idle my radio, etc. should be "starving" for electricity -
or is this a sign of a failing unit?  The radio gets really quiet and won't
pull in a signal at all unless the engine revs are up around 2000 RPM.

At speed the battery is getting plenty of current to keep itself charged up.
At idle I see 13-14 volts across the terminals - so it looks OK from that
perspective.

The thing is that at the times I'm waiting at a stop light - and not enjoying
the thrill of moving about in my LBC - the darn radio won't work!  (of course
it doesn't work very well ever.....)