auxilliery fuel pump

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: auxilliery fuel pump
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:38:27 -0400
Herb-

I am assuming you have purchased the little square pump that clicks
constantly. It is really a very good unit, just use rubber insulators to
mount it, to minimize the click noise.

This pump will "feed through" as will the original SU, so you only need
to cut the fuel line & connect up the pump using the bits of hose &
clamps usually supplied with the unit. I mounted mine to the frame of
the battery box on a '77, your situation may vary.

Electrically, you have a couple of choices. The easiest is to do
nothing, hope you can switch the wires if/when the SU craps out. Don't
laugh, I know 2 people who have followed this path. Second idea is to
wire up the new pump using a "on-off-on" switch. One side to the old
pump, other side to the new pump, original hot wire to the middle
terminal. Be careful when buying the switch, if it is not marked with an
amperage rating, don't bring it home. Look for a 10 amp rating, this is
more than enough, & try to get screw terminals, not push on- more
trouble, but more security.

The switch can be mounted in the rear of the car on the bulkhead in
front of the battery with the toggle inside behind the passenger seat
where it can be reached from inside the car. This minimizes the work &
wire required, but there is the chance it may get hit with whatever
stuff you carry. I mounted my switch under the dash & ran a new lead to
the pump. More work, but more convenient.

The center toggle position is off for both pumps, makes a simple
anti-theft device.

Jim Stuart