Re: Please help me find my short!

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Please help me find my short!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:21:32 +0100
This is a pretty sure sign that the bundle of ground wires in the trunk
aren't making good contact with the body - the pump is grounding via the
lights to the red, all the other lights and their grounds, which is enough
to make them glow but not operate the pump.  Theory falls down here,
however, because turning the lights on should have removed this alternative
ground path by putting full 12v on the red, which should have put the number
plate and side marker lamps out as well as not allowing the pump to operate.

Check the voltage on various black wires, particularly the pump, wrt a good
body ground (the boot/trunk latch?) while you variously switch the lights
and ignition on.  You should not see any voltage at all on those black
wires, start on a 20v scale then progressively more sensitive.

A short between red and white would not stop anything working, rather it
would put the lights on with the ignition and the ignition on with the
lights.

PaulH.