Fw: Alternator Woes

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Alternator Woes
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:13:27 -0700
Hi Paul:

 OH!! I did not understand the question then, my fault. This is a very valid
 and low cost way to measure leakage. From here you just disconnect loads
 until the leakage drops to zero or near-zero and viola! you have found the
 short.

 So from your experience,  you would suggest that one should clean the
 battery(s) themselves before using this technique, eh Paul??
 Also for those of you who winter-over your cars (I know we all drive them
 right??) that there are very real discharge currents happening with dirty
 batteries. Maybe those plastic battery liners aren't such a bad idea, huh?

 Another way to do the leakage test, is with a 3 1/2 digit DVM. Connect
 across battery and pull fuses and/or disconnect suspect loads until the
 battery voltage pops up at least 1 digit (10 mV or more). Even milliamp
 loads will bring the battery voltage down a couple tenths of volt. Note
that
 we are not worried about microamps (millionths of an amp). The battery SELF
 discharge rate alone (with no load connected) is on the order of 1/2 % per
 day with flooded lead acid batteries. And it is higher when hotter. It is a
 very good idea then to use a trickle charger on batts that are not being
 used, if even for a month. Longer than this and you risk the sulfate that
is
 collecting on the lead plates to harden so that it will be difficult to
 dissolve under charge.

 Thanks for the clarification Paul.
 Tim Economu
 Mona '69 MGBGT