Re: Whahappened?

To: RobMGB@aol.com, ckotting@iwaynet.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whahappened?
From: eric@erickson.on.net
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:28:44 +0000
ckotting@iwaynet.net writes:

> << No stumble, no sputter, just dies.  I coast to the side of the road, hit
>  the flashers, and hop out to investigate.  The coil and Crane amplifier
>  are cool to the touch, all connections on ignition circuit are secure,
>  but I give them an extra "push" to make sure.  (Elapsed time from
>  shutdown to this point, under 60 seconds) >>

The last time this happened to me I just left it, it went OK again, and I
considered it "a Lucas thing".  A little while later I was driving along and
had
the car die a number of small deaths before finally stopping all together.

Checking 'points' (in my car - and before *my* Pertronix) I found the 'low
tension wire' had broken.  Until its final and absolute death I can only assume
that bumps in the road would make it make and then break contact.  When it
finally fully seperated it meant a very quiet car... total death.

I have told this story before on here (and got applause, so I will tell it
again).  It just happens that I carry a 12volt soldering iron in the car, so a
dob of solder and I was able to continue on my way until I fixed it properly.
Chewing gum may have worked, but I doubt it.

You have to check carefully because it the wire may still be in place but
broken.
Give it a tug :-)

Eric