Re: changing switches

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: changing switches
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:01:09 -0700
Steve,

I just went through the removal of the fan switch and couldn't get the thing
out even after removing the temp gage, air control unit, dash light dimmer
switch and the console.  I had this conversation on the list a month or so
ago and it repeated a couple of weeks ago.  As far as I can determine, the
fan switch can only be removed from the front by breaking it.  I did manage
to remove my headlight switch with the aid of a small screw drive to push in
the four tabs that held it in place but there is more room behind that
switch to work.  Since the brake light switch is right next to it, I would
assume that you could get behind it to remove it also.  I also have a 72 B
and I think that the placement of the fan switch on older models might make
them easier to remove.  Since I was replacing non-working switches, I really
didn't care if I messed them up a bit.  If you can get hold of an original
switch to see how it is put together, it would probably help you understand
how to remove them.  These switches are really in two parts the center part
which includes the switch is tabbed into the outer part which is tabbed into
the body panel.  The wire hanger bracket behind keeps the whole unit from
coming out together through the dash.  By far the easiest way is to buy a
new switch and use a BFH to remove the old ones.  The new switches are one
piece and just press into the dash with the same four tabs holding it in
place.  Your will find that your 72 B has quite a few different parts from
previous and newer B's.

Keep you temper and use a big hammer.

I saved the e-mail responses that I got.  If you are interested I will
foreword them to you off list.

Dave 72 B