It runs at last! & oil pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It runs at last! & oil pressure
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:16:48 -0500
Hi all,

  After 2+ months of problems with getting the right parts, getting the
machine work done right and coping with a myriad of "little s--t" things
that kept cropping up, my '69 B roadster came back to life at 10 PM last
night.  VAROOM!

  One big scare I'd like to share.  I switched to a hanging cannister
oil filter and replaced the oil hoses and oil cooler.  During reassembly
I primed the filter and oil cooler, poured oil into the rear banjo
connector on the block to try and prime the pump.  With all the liquids
in the system I then cranked the engine, with no spark plugs installed
and watched the oil pressure guage for ANY indication of pressure.
Seems like I cranked it forever, no joy.  I began to think I'd done
something wrong - like the wrong pump gasket.  Finally stopped and got
on the MGs UK BBS and searched the archives on "no oil pressure after
rebuild."  Found a msg from a guy who said he'd had the same prob.  He
said to time the length of time you crank it; it seems like longer than
it really is.  OK sez I.  Went back to the car with my lil' ole' watch
in hand.  Cranked it some more while dividing my attention between the
watch and the guage.  Twenty seconds more cranking and I had 40 PSI on
the guage.  How 'bout that?  So don't give up too soon guys an' gals.
It takes a while to fill all those passages and hoses.

  So I put in the plugs and put the ignition wire on the coil.  Varoom!
75 PSI at idle.  Adjusted the timing and it's purring like a kitten.
YIPPEE!

  On to Salado!  See ya there?

  Charley Robinson
  '69 B that runs again - finally!