Re: MGB/C rear axle question

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: MGB/C rear axle question
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 07:11:59 -0400
Keith,

The MGB Automatic used a rear axle ratio of 3.7 to 1.  Can't speak for the
MGC.

I purchased a Special Tuning  for the MGB Booklet back in 1969 - my copy has a
1968 date on it.  There was an amendment page included which has the following
rather cryptic note, the contents of which are disputed by John Twist.  It
says:  "All MGB axles are fitted with Differential Cage BTB 866, but the
original 3.909 ratio has now been changed to 3.7."  !!  (I think some
confusion arose from the automatic production at about that time.)

The booklet also mentions the availability of 4.22  and 4.55 ratios for the
tube type axle.  (They carried competition part numbers, i.e., C-BTB 975 and
966, respectively.)

Bill