Around the world Turkmenistan

To: "E type list" <e-type@jag-lovers.org>
Subject: Around the world Turkmenistan
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:09:11 -0700
Hi Guys
Today finds our intrepid hero's (or nuts) diving through the desert, with
many cars getting bogged down in the sand, the land is barren and desolate
we are told (so what do you expect in the desert!)  The accommodation at the
end of the day is a sanatorium complete with patients that shuffle around
and go nowhere (this sounds like fun?) The temperature is around 38 degrees
so any car with a marginal cooling system is going to find the next stage of
the event a problem. The Bentley is still out in front, does this mean that
the MX Park Ward car would, or is, a good lorry? The Packard is not letting
it get away, this is starting to sound like a thirties commercial with rival
manufacturers competing. This could be the truth as the carts involved are
1938 and 1939 models. The 2CV sits in third place with the Morley-Ham
Lagonda back in fifth. The 1936 Rolls PIII is in eleventh spot but some 8
hours behind the time, still a long way to go so not time to worry about the
honor of Crewe yet.

The leading Hillman of the Giles still has a jubilant Porsche 356 crew
snapping at their heels. With the 2 min penalty for the Hillman yesterday it
seems to have given the Porsche some added incentive. The Aston DB2/4 sits
in third place but he Grand Old Grey Lady Alvis is dropping back due to a
developing transmission problem.  The Jaguar honors are being held by the
XK140 team  6 places behind the Alvis, but the are all gaining fast. The
Dyke-Price Onyett Team Healey car is back in 15th place after yesterdays
decision to preserve the car, only time will tell if this is a good idea as
overall they have over an hour in time to make up. The Other team Healey car
with the Hunts in it are back up to 25th. I think Peter must like that mid
twenties position, but he is sandwiched between two Mercedes, could this be
a German pincer movement? Next is the little MGB, this car is only 2 hours
down on the first place car! A great effort from these guys. The Facel (a
great looking car to be on such a event) is down in 32nd place suffering
with the perennial exhaust problem and trying to make time up. The Morgan +4
is 45th and some 12 hour back.
Tomorrow the temperature goes up and the desert continues.
Sleeping in a sanatorium dorm with another 200 people and patients wandering
around, is this what the high life of an around the world rallying
competitor is like? Seems like it~!
With stories like this I am beginning to like my big bed in Texas.
Regards
John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com