Re: [Re: Coil springs and sports coils : 2 questions]

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Coil springs and sports coils : 2 questions]
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 31 May 00 15:41:31 EDT
I'll second Larry's comments on price vs. value of a restoration, but that
isn't really my main objection -- I'm not doing the Alpine as an
investment, just like my MG isn't an investment.  My girlfriend drove this
particular Alpine about ten years ago, and she wants to see it running
again.  They are just big toys, and they make us happy.

No, my main objection to the Alpine is that it seems to justify the
stereotype about English cars being low quality.

My most specific gripe, and the reason this car is off the road, is an
example of the design of the car.  The designers, actually, are blameless
-- they did the right thing.  When they drew up the rear axle, they
specified a hardened washer and high grade bolt, in a very specific size,
to mount the ring gear to the diff.  It is subject to a lot of stress, and
they didn't want it to fail.

It was, however, cheaper to use mild steel washers, and low-grade bolts.

Over time, the washers crush and the bolts stretch, making the rear end
noisy and wearing the gears out.  They don't wear out, though, because
before it gets that far, the fatigued bolts break and bounce in between
the gear teeth.  KA-POW!  In this car's case, it broke off a couple of
teeth and split the rear axle casing wide open.

It is, apparently, not an uncommon fate for Alpines.

Dan: don't think I'm trying to talk you out of anything.  They are cute,
and if I ever get the rear end put together, it should be reasonably
quick.  I'm just a bit frustrated with the bean-counters who cut corners
on them.

</ramble>
Matt