Re: the weep of death

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>,
Subject: Re: the weep of death
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:19:03 -0600 (MDT)
I had a cracked head on my '68 engine.  (The head was an emissions head
and the block a non-us block.)  A remanufactured cast iron costs more
than a fully assembled non-crossover AL head.  You can pick up a used
head on EBAY some times, but who knows what you are going to get.  If
there is an MG club near you then someone there may have one they will
let go cheap.  My wife was agreeable to a new AL non-crossover head so
I got one from NW Import Parts complete with valves and springs for
$695.  (No $ interest there, the price is just good.)

I drove < 500 miles and lost a main bearing/rod (haven't opened it yet)
so I cleaned up the good engine and O/D tranny from my parts car, put a
new performance cam in it and am about to have it running again.  The
AL head is pretty and a whole lot lighter!  I like it.  If you do get
an AL head, you might want to get an AL valve cover and plan on
cleaning up your engine bay, as it will look flashy.

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 18:41:10 -0600, David Councill wrote:

>I know this has been discussed before but since it wasn't a problem I had
>ever seen, I don't remember the answer. Plus this is someone else's BGT.
>
>The problem is the cracked head syndrome - a small crack leaking a little
>antifreeze and oil from the head near the number 2 cylinder.
>
>My question - can this be fixed reliably? Magnaflux or something? Or would
>the head have to be replaced? Rough ideas on cost? Words of wisdom from
>those afflicted?
>
>David
>67 BGT
>71 BGT