Re: Wire wheel conversion

To: Bmgreen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wire wheel conversion
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:40:37 -0700

Charley & Peggy Robinson had this to say:

>Hi Stephen,
>
>  I have wires on my '69 B.  I love the look of wires.  I clean them all
>the time because the anti-sieze leaks thru the spoke holes.  Wires can
>be knocked out of true by a chuck hole.  That's when you find out all
>the spoke adjusters are rusted solid. Then you go looking for a used,
>true, wheel with good splines.  Er, and the right spline pitch for your
>year car.  Yessir, I looove wires!

Where are you using anti-seize? On the splines? I have always used
multi-purpose grease. I could understand using anti-seize on the spoke
adjusters, but how would you get it in there, except by totally
disassembling a new wheel (before they all froze up)?
Anyway, to keep the spline lube from leaking through and dirtying your
spokes, just coat the inside of a freshly-cleaned hub with a thin smear
of clear silicone sealer over the spoke heads (or blue or black or copper
silicone -- it doesn't show). I got this tip from the Moss catalog.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149